Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Greenbrier

 A few years ago my mom and I had the most fantastic girls getaway to The Greenbrier Resort and Historic Landmark in Southern West Virginia.  The interior which was designed by none other than Dorothy Draper herself is elegant, ecclectic, and absolutely gorgeous.  Infused with her signature use of black and white tiles, Baroque details, oversized prints, and bold colors, the Greenbrier is still recognized as one of Dorothy’s most famous designs.  It houses multiple award winning restaurants from the iconic main dining room to ice cream parlors.  Photos surround the property of Presidents, celebrities, CEO's, and royalty who have been staying at the hotel since it's opening in 1778.  

We spent our days swimming, hiking through the resort's vast grounds, mountain biking, horseback riding, being pampered at the spa, and visiting the adjacent town of Lewisburg which is filled with galleries, antique shops, and farm to table restaurants.  

What stood out most in my mind about The Greenbrier however was the impeccable service.  Every single employee who I met left a lasting impression on me -- from their absolutely kind and gracious hospitality that felt as if it were from an era bygone to their clearly immense pride and love for the resort {I met one man who had worked at the hotel for 70 years and was a 3rd generation employee}.  Our four days at The Greenbrier were ones I will never forget - and I cannot wait until I am able to visit it again!
Images via Myself & Matchbook Magazine

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, the Greenbrier. Take me home, country roads (and swing by the Greenbrier on the way). Princess Grace and I both agree it's magnificent.
    What an amazing place and what beautiful memories of a great trip. Love the pics. And don't forget the bathrooms! You could devote an entire blogspot just on those

    ReplyDelete